Vancouver Island Human Rights Committee – September 9, 2010 AGM Minutes
Minutes prepared by VIHRC Recording Secretary Laura Gracie
- Released Unofficially: September 12, 2010
- Adopted Officially: November 29, 2010 (E-Meeting)
- Boardroom: Michael Doerfler, Paul Jones, Sonia Manak, Laura Gracie, Mark McCavour, Virginia Vaillancourt, Robert Mitchell, Wendy Bruce, Tracy Shudo and PSAC Rep: Dave Jackson.
- Teleconference: None.
- Guest: Rene Doerfler
- Translators: Mary Butterfield and Mary Warner
- Regrets: Anita Hoffman, Cindy Little, Mandi Schubert, Ryan Dowell, Pamela Grant, Levan Turner, Glen Hendry, Sayed Subzwari, Nick Humphries and Maddalena Maher.
Continue reading below, or download the Vancouver Island Human Rights Committee – September 9, 2010 AGM Minutes as .pdf
Socialization: Committee had a social function with food platters, drinks and a little bit of entertainment with door prizes from 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Unveiling of Banner:Prior to the start of meeting; VIHRC was shown the committee’s new banner for their use which would be used at parades and info sessions etc. This introduction was done to accommodate Brother Mark McCavour who had to leave early.
All were impressed with the banner. The banner, however; was not the nylon material which was originally planned but vinyl material was used instead. The material, however; did allow the design to be ‘much more’ sharper than which the nylon material would have allowed. After much discussion, a motion was then put on the floor as follows:
Motion: To accept the banner as provided at the cost of $200.00 by Michael Doerfler. Seconded: Tracy Shudo. Carried: Unanimously
The committee would like to really thank both Mark McCavour and Robert Mitchell for the amount of time and their effort of making this banner to become a reality for our committee. Many, many Thanks.
Meeting Called to Order by Acting Chairperson at 6:30 p.m.
Acting Chairperson’s Opening Remarks
Michael Doerfler gave a brief history of how our committee was started.
- The spearhead of this committee was Mandi Schubert and how she had started to work towards establishing this committee in 2004. However the timing was not right and the proposal of creating this committee was put on the back burner.
- Later in 2007, Mandi Schubert was instrumental in getting key people in place to once again bring this committee to the starting point. The committee then became an ad hoc committee in 2008. In 2009, VIHRC became a duly constituted committee. Beyond this point, there was no turning back.
- It is with Mandi Schubert’s perseverance and determination to get this committee up and running that we have come into being.
- This committee would really like to thank Mandi Schubert for seeing the need for this committee and all the countless of hours plus incredible efforts on her part over the years to make this a reality for Vancouver Island. Thank you Mandi Schubert!
- At this time we proceeded with a round of introduction of the members that were present.
Old Business for review
- Reviewed / Adopted June 22nd Minutes & ready to post to PSAC BC website
- Motion: To adopt previous meeting’s minutes by Wendy Bruce. Seconded: Laura Gracie. Carried: Unanimously
VIHRC Caucus Election:
The committee proceeded with their first inaugural elections ever with PSAC Staff Member Dave Jackson presiding over this historical process and the swearing in of new caucus members.
The newly elected members of this caucus are:
- Chairperson:Michael Doerfler – Elected by acclamation from acting position. Michael Doerfler is one of VIHRC’s founding members. He comes from Canada Employment and Immigration Union (CEIU) Local 20975 (Canada Pension Plan Office). Michael Doerfler also currently holds the ad-hoc position of Human Rights Officer within this Local too.
- Co-Chairperson:Robert Mitchell – Elected into new position. Robert Mitchell currently holds the position of shop steward within the Union of Taxation Employees (UTE) Local 20028 (Canada Revenue Agency).
- Treasurer:Wendy Bruce – Elected by acclamation from acting position. Wendy Bruce works with Michael Doerfler at CEIU Local 20975 at Service Canada. She has been involved at the Local level since 2007; holding the position of Local treasurer for almost two years until 2009. Wendy Bruce became interested in the Human Rights Committee along with Mark McCavour and Michael Doerfler where all of them are Deaf or Hard of Hearing. Wendy Bruce is interested in helping others and learning more about Human Rights.
- Recording Secretary:Laura Gracie – Elected by acclamation from acting position. Laura Gracie comes from CEIU Local 20975 and has been very active at the Local level holding various positions within the Local including President, Secretary, Shop Steward, Local Bargaining Rep, Local Strike Captain and currently holds the position of Local Condolence Rep.
- Technical Communications:Robert Mitchell – Elected by acclamation from acting position – see above bio.
- Member & Media Relations Officer:Paul Jones – Elected into new position. Paul Jones holds several positions within the Union umbrella. He currently holds the position of PSAC-EOC National Rep for Persons With Disabilities (PWD), he is also a member of the PSAC BC Regional Council holding the position of Pride Coordinator and is also a Local Steward too.
- Congratulations to all of them!
VIHRC 2011 Meeting Dates
- This was the first business item for 2010-2011 committee on deciding which days in 2011 to hold our meetings.
- The committee discussed at length whether to adopt current format of four meetings plus an AGM each year or a new proposal to add one more meeting in October therefore a five meetings plus an AGM format.
- Discussion ensured and the issue was made to clarify that AGM is actually a meeting too and that PSAC constitution requires the committee to meet at minimum 4 times a year. The committee already currently meets that requirement by holding five meetings including AGM per year.
- The committee has agreed to stay with the current format. A new ‘Tuesday then Thursday’ back and forth approach throughout 2011 was also proposed as that might help some members to be able to attend the meetings.
- The proposed dates are as below:
- Tuesday February 8, 2011
- Thursday April 14, 2011
- Tuesday June 21, 2011
- Thursday September 15, 2011 AGM (Tentative)
- Tuesday November 22, 2011
- These dates are pending on availability of PSAC boardroom and interpreters.
- Motion: To adopt proposed 2011 meeting dates as above by Wendy Bruce. Seconded: Michael Doerfler. Carried: Unanimously
Update on 2011 Dates
- Late additional comment by PSAC Staff Rosemary MacKenzie on Thursday September 23: AGM date (Sept 15, 2011) may be a conflicting date for some CEIU members who may decide to go to a CEIU conference in the following days ahead. It was determined to stay course on this date for now and the date may be adjusted to a week earlier on Sept 8, 2011.
- The committee would also like to thank Tracy Shudo for coming from Mainland BC Human Rights Committee (Vancouver) for our first AGM and for supplying all of the fantastic door prizes too.
Conclusion of Meeting
- Motion: To adjourn the meeting by Wendy Bruce. Seconded: Tracy Shudo. Carried: Unanimously
Meeting Adjourned: 7:23 p.m.
- Thanks to everyone who attended this historical meeting.
- The evening proceeded with the continuation of our social event to 8:00 p.m.
Next Meeting: November 23, 2010 at 6:30 p.m.
This is an archive only
Visit our new site here