Archive for the 'BRUSH Committee' Category



Public Service Alliance of Canada – British Columbia Regional Union Safety and Health (BRUSH) – Minutes, March 31, 2010

Chair: Sam Wiese (Regional Councilor, H&S)

In Attendance: Alice Woods (UCTE), Leanne Hughes (NAT), , Louise Richard (NAT), Bob Jackson (AGR), Tracey Shudo (CEIU), Virginia Vaillancourt (UVAE), Monique Bakker (UEW), Bob Bridgeman (UNDE), Barry Cunningham (UCTE), Linda Harding (GSU), Angela Marafon (UTE), James Little (PSAC, H&S).

Regrets: Wayne Little (UTE), Melvin Dureen (USGE), Bill Pleming (GSU), Gail Jewsbury (UEW), Susan Yaciw (UTE), Laura Gracie (CEIU, Jim Sidel (DCL).

Continue reading below, or download the BRUSH Minutes March 31, 2010 (pdf)

(more…)

Public Service Alliance of Canada – British Columbia Regional Union Safety and Health (BRUSH) Committee minutes –  January 6, 2010

Chair: Sam Wiese (Regional Councilor, H&S)

In Attendance: Alice Woods (UCTE), Leanne Hughes (NAT), Wayne Little (UTE), Louise Richard (NAT), Bob Jackson (AGR), Tracey Shudo (CEIU), Melvin Dureen (USGE), Virginia Vaillancourt (UVAE), Monique Bakker (UEW), Gail Jewsbury ((UEW), Susan Yaciw (UTE), Kelly Megyesi (CEIU), Lorraine Plummer (NHU), Paul Croes (CEIU), Bob Bridgeman (UNDE), Al Johnston (NHU), Bill Pleming (GSU), Linda Harding (GSU),James Little (PSAC, H&S) and Kay Sinclair (REVP BC).

Regrets: Laura Gracie (CEIU), Angela Marafon (UTE), Anita Hoffman (CEIU), Grace McIvor (NHU), Jim Sidel (DCL), Barry Cunningham (UCTE), Sargy Chima (CEIU), Bonnie Heidt (UVAE).

Continue reading below, or download the BRUSH Committee minutes (pdf)

Agenda

  1. Roll Call
  2. Accepting the Agenda
  3. Review Previous Minutes
  4. Update on National H&S Conference
  5. New Business
    • Member Survey
    • Health Canada – Reduction of Service
    • Light station de-staffing update
    • Local 60 “Greening the Environment”
    • Environmental Issues and H&S
    • Sick Leave
    • Education
    • First Aid
  6. Round Table
  7. Adjournment

1. Introduction/Roll Call – Sam conducted a roll call and expressed members regrets

2. Agenda Approved- First Aid was added to the agenda under New Business

3. Review of Previous Minutes

  • Members reviewed the previous minutes and issues arose in two areas: Armed Members and Ergonomics.
  • Armed Members – Jim, Sam and Melvin were to look at current education programs with in departments and agencies for available non-armed members training opportunities. This task has not yet been completed and the group will report at the next meeting.
  • TASK – Jim, Sam and Melvin will review available education programs offered by departments and agencies.
  • Ergonomics – Bill Pleming offered some insight to some of the recent developments around ergonomics at Public Works and Government Services Canada (PWGSC). It appears that PWGSC is moving towards establishing contractual arrangements with outside service providers for the provision of both level I and II ergonomic services for Treasury Board Departmentns at a regional level. The terms of agreements were to be put out for tender nearer the end of January 2010, however looks like probably this summer. The purpose of which will be to establish a standing offer rate with the providers such that departments and can draw down from an account. The next step is to draft Terms and Conditions to be followed by tendering and awarding of contracts.
  • TASK – Ensure this is a standing agenda item.

4. Update on National Health and Safety Conference

  • The national H&S Conference was held in November 2009 and was focused on H&S and the Environment.
  • There was a diverse array of speakers on several differing topics including; bullying and harassment, global warming, the environment impact of the tar sands and stress. There were three workshops offered; Enforcement, Workplace Committees and the Environment as a H&S Issue.
  • The conference concluded with a Regional Caucus in which H&S Activist from BC gathered to develop a three-year regional H&S plan. This plan was developed in consideration of our BC Regional planning session that took place at the BC Regional H&S Conference. The outline of the BC plan will be shared with the members of the region shortly and include; Membership Networks, Education and the Co-ordination of a H&S Campaign.

New Business

1. Member Survey

  • As part of the National H&S Conference, BC Caucus we discussed the issue of membership networking. It became very clear that although we have a very large BRUSH committee that we haven’t done a great job at identifying and connecting all of our regional H&S activists. We decided to conduct a regional H&S membership survey in an effort to identify local H&S activists. Before we proceed with a survey, we need to send a message of our intention to the National Officers and this should come from Kay. Some of the questions we could ask in our survey might be: what is your number one H&S issue, how are members appointed to your workplace committees, who are the workplace representatives, how much education do they have and/or need. We may wish to send a letter to the locals first and then follow-up with phoning.

2. The Health Canada Reduction of Service

  • Sam reported on the work that she and Wayne Little have accomplished.
  • Wayne provided an update of developments at Canada Revenue Agency has amended its policy on workplace accommodation and have negotiated the provision of health services (ergonomic and fit to work assessments) with and outside service provider. Should be complete by March 2010.
  • Corrections Services Canada in the lower mainland has contracted its air quality and ergonomic services with a company in Langley at a rate of $175.00/hour.
  • Bill Pleming provided PWGSC’s perspective (above).

3. Light Station De-staffing

  • We reminded participants that the de-staffing of light stations remains an issue for our members and we should remain vigilant. Alice Woods gave a short presentation at the National H&S Conference, which was well received, and we continue to encourage members to put pressure on their MP’s. Our goal is to defend quality public service and the safety of our members and the Canadian public.

4. Greening the Environment – Local 60 webmail.

  • Agriculture Component – Local 60 has challenged other BC locals and the Regional Office to reduce their amount of paper use. The local has created its own webmail, which members can use to commumicate with the local, and it appears to be working very effectively. This generated a broader discussion around our reduction strategies and how we can improve our recycling, reduction and reusing strategies.

5. Environment and H&S

  • The question has been raised as to whether the environment should be addressed as a H&S issue. This issue was addressed at the National H&S Conference and it appears that based on those discussions the two issues are so closely connected that we should develop a unified approach to health safety and the environment.

6. Sick Leave – Treasury Board Policy (April 2009)

  • The interpretation, implementation and administration of the new Treasury Board Leave with Pay Policy (April 2009) as it relates to Dental/Medical Appointment
  • TASK – Sam to produce the new Sick Leave Policy

7. Education

  • We held a discussion around education and the member’s needs. In doing so, we attempted to prioritize our training objectives.
    • Workplace Committee Training
    • Canada Labour Code Review
    • Other H&S Issues; Ergonomics, Hazard Prevention, Air Quality etc.
  • The BC Federation of Labour is developing a pilot project on training workers in Federally Regulated Worksites. The pilot training will take place on February 16 and 17 in Vancouver and we have four members of the committee auditing the training. We hope that this is the beginning of a new era in BC Fed training and that we will be able to rely on this training to reach our diverse membership.
  • The BC Fed H&S Centre also offers training on a wide variety of H&S subjects and they make that training available to affiliated members throughout the province. We should be encouraging our members to participate when ever possible.

Meeting Adjourned, Next Meeting March 24, 2010

Public Service Alliance of Canada

British Columbia Regional Union Safety and Health (BRUSH)

Minutes

January 6, 2010

Chair: Sam Wiese (Regional Councilor, H&S)

In Attendance: Alice Woods (UCTE), Leanne Hughes (NAT), Wayne Little (UTE), Louise Richard (NAT), Bob Jackson (AGR), Tracey Shudo (CEIU), Melvin Dureen (USGE), Virginia Vaillancourt (UVAE), Monique Bakker (UEW), Gail Jewsbury ((UEW), Susan Yaciw (UTE), Kelly Megyesi (CEIU), Lorraine Plummer (NHU), Paul Croes (CEIU), Bob Bridgeman (UNDE), Al Johnston (NHU), Bill Pleming (GSU), Linda Harding (GSU),James Little (PSAC, H&S) and Kay Sinclair (REVP BC).

Regrets: Laura Gracie (CEIU), Angela Marafon (UTE), Anita Hoffman (CEIU), Grace McIvor (NHU), Jim Sidel (DCL), Barry Cunningham (UCTE), Sargy Chima (CEIU), Bonnie Heidt (UVAE).

Agenda

  1. Roll Call
  2. Accepting the Agenda
  3. Review Previous Minutes
  4. Update on National H&S Conference
  5. New Business

§ Member Survey

§ Health Canada – Reduction of Service

§ Light station de-staffing update

§ Local 60 “Greening the Environment”

§ Environmental Issues and H&S

§ Sick Leave

§ Education

§ First Aid

  1. Round Table
  2. Adjournment

1. Introduction/Roll Call

Sam conducted a roll call and expressed members regrets

2. Agenda Approved

First Aid was added to the agenda under New Business

3. Review of Previous Minutes

Members reviewed the previous minutes and issues arose in two areas: Armed Members and Ergonomics.

Armed Members – Jim, Sam and Melvin were to look at current education programs with in departments and agencies for available non-armed members training opportunities. This task has not yet been completed and the group will report at the next meeting.

TASK – Jim, Sam and Melvin will review available education programs offered by departments and agencies.

Ergonomics – Bill Pleming offered some insight to some of the recent developments around ergonomics at Public Works and Government Services Canada (PWGSC). It appears that PWGSC is moving towards establishing contractual arrangements with outside service providers for the provision of both level I and II ergonomic services for Treasury Board Departmentns at a regional level. The terms of agreements were to be put out for tender nearer the end of January 2010, however looks like probably this summer. The purpose of which will be to establish a standing offer rate with the providers such that departments and can draw down from an account. The next step is to draft Terms and Conditions to be followed by tendering and awarding of contracts.

TASK – Ensure this is a standing agenda item.

4. Update on National Health and Safety Conference

The national H&S Conference was held in November 2009 and was focused on H&S and the Environment.

There was a diverse array of speakers on several differing topics including; bullying and harassment, global warming, the environment impact of the tar sands and stress. There were three workshops offered; Enforcement, Workplace Committees and the Environment as a H&S Issue.

The conference concluded with a Regional Caucus in which H&S Activist from BC gathered to develop a three-year regional H&S plan. This plan was developed in consideration of our BC Regional planning session that took place at the BC Regional H&S Conference. The outline of the BC plan will be shared with the members of the region shortly and include; Membership Networks, Education and the Co-ordination of a H&S Campaign.

New Business

  1. Member Survey – As part of the National H&S Conference, BC Caucus we discussed the issue of membership networking. It became very clear that although we have a very large BRUSH committee that we haven’t done a great job at identifying and connecting all of our regional H&S activists. We decided to conduct a regional H&S membership survey in an effort to identify local H&S activists. Before we proceed with a survey, we need to send a message of our intention to the National Officers and this should come from Kay. Some of the questions we could ask in our survey might be: what is your number one H&S issue, how are members appointed to your workplace committees, who are the workplace representatives, how much education do they have and/or need. We may wish to send a letter to the locals first and then follow-up with phoning.

  1. The Health Canada Reduction of Service

Sam reported on the work that she and Wayne Little have accomplished.

Wayne provided an update of developments at Canada Revenue Agency has amended its policy on workplace accommodation and have negotiated the provision of health services (ergonomic and fit to work assessments) with and outside service provider. Should be complete by March 2010.

Corrections Services Canada in the lower mainland has contracted its air quality and ergonomic services with a company in Langley at a rate of $175.00/hour.

Bill Pleming provided PWGSC’s perspective (above).

  1. Light Station De-staffing

We reminded participants that the de-staffing of light stations remains an issue for our members and we should remain vigilant. Alice Woods gave a short presentation at the National H&S Conference, which was well received, and we continue to encourage members to put pressure on their MP’s. Our goal is to defend quality public service and the safety of our members and the Canadian public.

  1. Greening the Environment – Local 60 webmail.

Agriculture Component – Local 60 has challenged other BC locals and the Regional Office to reduce their amount of paper use. The local has created its own webmail, which members can use to commumicate with the local, and it appears to be working very effectively. This generated a broader discussion around our reduction strategies and how we can improve our recycling, reduction and reusing strategies.

  1. Environment and H&S

The question has been raised as to whether the environment should be addressed as a H&S issue. This issue was addressed at the National H&S Conference and it appears that based on those discussions the two issues are so closely connected that we should develop a unified approach to health safety and the environment.

  1. Sick Leave – Treasury Board Policy (April 2009)

The interpretation, implementation and administration of the new Treasury Board Leave with Pay Policy (April 2009) as it relates to Dental/Medical Appointment

TASK – Sam to produce the new Sick Leave Policy

  1. Education

We held a discussion around education and the member’s needs. In doing so, we attempted to prioritize our training objectives.

§ Workplace Committee Training

§ Canada Labour Code Review

§ Other H&S Issues; Ergonomics, Hazard Prevention, Air Quality etc.

The BC Federation of Labour is developing a pilot project on training workers in Federally Regulated Worksites. The pilot training will take place on February 16 and 17 in Vancouver and we have four members of the committee auditing the training. We hope that this is the beginning of a new era in BC Fed training and that we will be able to rely on this training to reach our diverse membership.

The BC Fed H&S Centre also offers training on a wide variety of H&S subjects and they make that training available to affiliated members throughout the province. We should be encouraging our members to participate when ever possible.

Meeting Adjourned

Next Meeting March 24, 2010

West Fraser Valley Annual General Meeting

  • September 21,  5:30PM
  • Knight and Day Restaurant 9677 King George Highway @ 96th Avenue
  • Agenda items include election of officers

Vancouver Area Council Meeting

  • September 22, 2009 5:30PM
  • Vancouver Regional Office – #200 – 5238 Joyce Street, 3rd floor boardroom
  • Agenda items so far include: planning for the AGM (scheduled for October 27, 2009), update on Vancouver Area Council local/branch affiliation campaign

BRUSH (Health and Safety) Committee Meeting

  • September 23, 5:30PM
  • Vancouver Regional Office – #200 – 5238 Joyce Street
  • Members unable to attend the meeting at the Vancouver RO may join in the discussion via conference call – call the RO for details
  • Agenda items: H1N1, Terms of Reference, Health Canada – Ergonomic, National H&S Conference

BRUSH MEETING MINUTES, JUNE 25, 2008

Chair: Sam Wiese

In Attendance: James Little, Kirk Oppermann, Jack Seto and Rob Hellenius

By Teleconference: Mandi Schubert, Melvin Dureen, Monique Bakker, Bob Jackson, Grace MacIver, Wayne Little, Carolyn McGillivary

Regrets: Angela Marafon, Diane Beaulieu, Wanda Pocok, Deborah Wong, Diane McArthur, Bill Plemming, Sarah Burns, Thomas Gallagher, Rob Terris, Rob Hynes and Kelly Megyesi

Continue reading below, or download the June 25th BRUSH Committe meeting minutes (pdf)

Reviewed: Agenda

No additions or revisions

Reviewed Minutes From Last Meeting:

January 23, 2008

Explanation was provided on the National Joint Council (NJC) Cyclical Review being conducted and the work that was recently done at the PSAC National H&S Reps meeting.

We have received one regional submission from CFIA regarding Fumigation Hoods.

UTE has started a campaign on Call Centres Sam wants members to have a look at the UTE website and access the bulletin on Call Centres (Feb 6, 2008). Sam will also contact reps from UTE to discuss how we might assist or hook into their campaign. Also, a forum has been started on our regional H&S webpage.

Issue was also raised about the participation of PIPSC members at our BRUSH meetings. The REVP has been informed of the request and feels the committee should decide. Agreed we should be cautious, and maybe the committee should have a vote or we should discuss at our upcoming Regional H&S Conference. We should contact the PIPSC H&S Rep to discuss.

New terms of reference will be developed for the BRUSH and maybe they should include this in their discussions.

Tabled for now.

Agenda Items:

1. Terms of Reference for the BRUSH

We reviewed the terms of reference from the Atlantic, Ontario and our own. We are no longer tasked with the Environment responsibilities only H&S. We agreed to create a sub committee to review the terms of reference and they will report at the next committee meeting.

Committee Members: Mandi Schubert, Grace MacIver, Wayne Little, Bob Jackson

2. Health and Safety Training

The introduction of H&S Training as a JLP course is still being examined in the respective Head Offices and the prospects look good. Currently we have no H&S training planned for this year with the exception of three one-day courses at this years union school. The courses are Regulations, WCB and DI.

3. WCB Proposal

The idea is to encourage more membership involvement in WCB Advocacy in the BC Region. To do this there will be a requirement for members to play a more active role in WCB Case Management. Similar to the Grievance Process and representation. Their will be an educational component to the proposal and we would be looking at training ~ 50 members over 5 days. Stay tuned.

4. Report from the June 2008 National PSAC H&S Reps Meeting

James attended the regional reps meeting in Ottawa. The national H&S team would like to encourage members to participate in the following campaigns.

  • Pregnant and Nursing Women and their rights petition
  • Bill 484 Violence Against Fetus War Against Abortion Rights
  • Bill C51 Amendment to Food and Drug Act however we (PSAC) might come out against this.

5. Right to Refuse Cards

The PSAC has developed wallet sized Right to Refuse cards. Let James know if your office or members need some. Some will be available to those in attendance at the next meeting.

6. BC Regional H&S Conference

We need to hold our triennial regional H&S conference before the National PSAC Convention in April 2009. We have been looking at some dates and it looks like February, March or April. We need to establish an organizing committee and finalize the dates. We will have more information for the September meeting.

7. H&S Logo Contest

Our original goal was to create a brand for the BRUSH so we decided to hold a contest to create a new BRUSH Logo. We will promote the contest through the website and hopefully announce the winner at the regional conference.

We should establish an incentive need to discuss cost.

8. Meeting Start Times

We would like to start the meetings at 5:30. This time seems to work for the majority some members have difficulty-making meeting this early. It is important that the minutes get out to participants prior to the meeting. James apologized for not attaching the minutes to the e-mail announcing the meeting. We are trying to achieve a regular meeting schedule in conjunction with the BC Fed OH&S meetings (3rd Wednesday of every second month).

9. Silent/Visual Fire Alarms Item Added by CEIU 20975 Victoria

This is becoming a big issue in the CEIU office in downtown Victoria as well as the DFO office in Nanaimo. Offices with deaf members should have silent/visual alarms installed. They should not rely on evacuation buddys or pagers. We would like to put employers on notice that we will be adding this issue to the workplace H&S committee agendas and some suggested solutions are:

  • contacting the fire departments
  • contacting other social activist groups to put pressure on government
  • give ultimatums
  • PWGSCs policy is to provide members with pagers and they are paged immediately once the fire alarm is activated. The experience in Victoria is there is a considerable delay (sometimes 10 minutes) and what if someone is in the bathroom.
  • In all new facilities silent/visual alarms are being installed and it is now part of the Canada Building Code.
  • The other related issue is the lack of clear guidelines for Floor Wardens
  • According to accessibility standards the issue should be raised at the workplace H&S committee meeting and management has 3 months to deal with the issue
  • Contact PWGSC for more information

Next meeting Sept 24, 2008 5:30 p.m.

The British Columbia Regional Safety and Health Committee (BRUSH) would like to announce an upcoming meeting.

Did you know that any PSAC-BC member can take part in the PSAC-BC BRUSH Committee? Meetings will normally be scheduled two weeks in advance and we will attempt to deal with issues in the workplace, provide education, raise H&S awareness, and much more. Please encourage your local members to participate!

  • The next meeting is scheduled for: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 at 5:30 pm.
  • The meeting will be held at The Vancouver Regional Office of the PSAC, 5238 Joyce St, Vancouver BC.

Members are encouraged to attend in person however members who are unable to attend in person can join the meeting via teleconference. We ask that you please provide us with any agenda items and we will send out the Teleconference co-ordinates along with the agenda and previous minutes next week.

Please RSVP

In Solidarity, James Little – Regional Representative Health and Safety

Agenda Items:

  1. Terms of Reference for BC Regional H&S Committee
  2. Right to Refuse Cards
  3. BC Regional H&S Conference
    • Organizing Committee
    • Content
    • Dates
  4. H&S Logo Contest
  5. National PSAC Convention H&S Resolutions
  6. H&S Resolutions from Component Conventions
  7. Round Table

The 2009 BC Regional Health & Safety Conference has been tentatively scheduled for February 28-March 1, 2009 at the Hilton Metrotown in Burnaby.

We are currently seeking members who are willing to play a leading role in the organization of the 2009 H&S Conference. The organizing team will work closely with James Little and myself and will be expected to provide their services up to and during the conference.

If you wish to join us on the organizing committee please review the following for instructions on our criteria and application process.

(more…)

Minutes – BRUSH Committee Meeting – January 23, 2008 (amended)

Chair

  • Joy Hennen CEIU

In Attendance

  • Floyd Knelsen CRA
  • Chuck Leech ALTERNATE – USGE
  • Gail Jewsbury – UEW
  • Tom Gallager GSU
  • Gordon Law WESTERN ECONOMICS
  • Melvin Dureen – USGE
  • Stephen Chessor CUDA
  • James Little BC PSAC, Regional Representative
  • Robert Hellenius Commissionaire
  • Raheman nur Mohamed CIUE
  • Ray King
  • Neil MacKay
  • Kelly Legacy – Vernon – CEIU
  • Carolyn McGillivray – White Rock CBSA
  • Gwen Williams – SSO, NAT
  • Sam Weise – CEIU
  • Monique Bakker

Regrets

  • Wayne Little UTE

Agenda Items:

  1. BC PSAC Health and Safety webpage and forum.
  2. New COSH Regulation XX Violence update.
  3. New COSH Hazard Prevention Regulation XIX amendments (Ergonomics).
  4. Report from the PSAC National H&S Rep’s Meeting.
  5. Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) Infections.
  6. Work Reorganization and Call Centres.
  7. Succession Planning.
  8. H&S Logo Contest
  9. PIPS participation in the PSAC BRUSH Committee.
  10. Lancaster House Audio Conference – Benefits for Disabled Workers Navigating the Maze

Roundtable of introductions

Agenda Item #1 was moved to the end of agenda

Acceptance of previous minutes – m/s/c chuck/ floyd

1. COSH Regulation XX, Violence – The COSH has created a new Regulation to address Violence in the workplace. Violence Prevention in the Work Place forms Part XX of the Canada Occupational Health and Safety (COHS) Regulations, which are made pursuant to Part II of the Canada Labour Code (Code), the purpose of which is: to prevent accidents and injury to health arising out of, linked with, or occurring in the course of employment in the federal jurisdiction. The regulations appear in the December 15, 2007, edition of the Canada Gazette Part I (see volume 141, no 50, pages 3455 to 3459).

2. New Ergonomic Regulation Update – The COSH Regulation XIX Hazard Prevention has been amended to include Ergonomics. The brand new regulation is now law, the PSAC provided input into the regulation however much of our input was not included in the final document. The new regulation is available on the BC PSAC Website and Forum page.

3. Report from the PSAC National H & S rep’s meeting – The PSAC Regional H&S Rep’s have been meeting twice a year to discuss issues related to H&S. We have two national officers who, among other things review regulatory amendments negotiate the NJC agreements on H&S.

NJC covers broad based issues of concern to all employees in the government – all unions, not just PSAC. NJC is conducting a cyclical review of the H&S directives. We have the opportunity to provide input into the process. They have just completed directive A and are now working on B, C and D. These directives are very specific in nature and deal with things like Elevated Work Structures, Motor Vehicle Operations, Materials Handleing, PPE’s and Electrical Safety. The PSAC National H&S Officers would like us to look at the directives and see if we have any concerns about them or the language in them. The information will be provided on the BC PSAC H&S Website and Forum Page. We have until the end of summer 2008 to complete the task at which time Denis St. Jean, the national officer responsible for this, will do the final write up.

4. Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) Infections – The Commissionairs in Vancouver had a serious problem with MRSA’s and some immigrant detainees. The Commissionairs currently run the detention cells for CBSA dealing with immigrant detainees. Rob Hellenius is familiar with MRSA via other sources. Gloves and hand washing do not enough protection against the spread of infection as suggested by the health nurse at the jail. There appears to be lots of misinformation about MRSA. Management thought that they had a spider infestation. There are two types of MRSA, facility acquired and community acquired. This can cause loss of limb, skin facetious, lung facetious. In Canada we do not have any protocols. Rob has asked PSAC for help. Initially we were close to a Section 128 “right to refuse” situation – but there were some protocols introduced and there probably was not imminent danger.. We needed to bring this to the attention of the employer, the commissionaires, and CBSA and ensure the safe transfer individuals. We have decided to follow the Section 127 “internal complaint resolution process” at this time.

Rob advises that a1/3 of the Canadian population carries MRSA and surfaces can remain infectious for up to two weeks.

CL has gone through this a couple of times at Matsqui. Senior management was notified by the hospital, health team called, and the person was isolated.

MD – currently CSC is coming up with a draft of a pandemic response paper. Generally it is after the fact, rather than preventative. They are dealing with infectious diseases such as Hep C, Hep B,

The H&S Rep for BC PSAC contacted Health Canada, and spoke with occupational health nurse (Ruth Nicholson). She does a lot of training for customs people at the airports around this issue. She would be willing to do some training around this issue for other concerned employees

There was a general discussion around the need for protocols and the proper use of PPE’s in relation to MRSA’s

5. Work Reorganization and Call centres – CEIU – Neil and Rahmen work as EI call centre agents in harbour centre. They raise the issue of work conditions in call centres and the impact that it has on call centre workers. Characterized by stress, burn out, and absenteeism. The PSAC has raised the issue of poor work conditions with management but with no success. Most issues are best addressed via H&S. The CEIU (Service Canada) members want to draw attention to the following issues (work environment, tethered to a desk, monitoring and surveillance of the work force, high call volumes, non stop, on phones 6.5 hours out of 7 hours. 2 sec break, etc). The employers emphasis is on quantity not quality. The results are burn out, frustration, hi turn over rate, hi absenteeism, managements insistence on doctor’s notes, low morale and intense work environment.

CBSA has a large call centre in Winnipeg and CRA have several call centres across the country. In the most recent minutes of the National Board of Directors (NBoD) meeting the PSAC President reported on Work Reorganization and Call Centres was one of his top issues. He indicated that the PSAC has one of the two seats representing the House of Labour on the Board of Govenors for Contact Centre Canada the sector council for organizations the are involved in the contact centre industries. The BC PSAC H&S Rep talked to Howie West the National Rep responsible for Work Reorganization, who informed us that there is a National PSAC working group on call centres. They have conducted a survey and the results are near completion. The PSAC Components are well represented in the working groups however; they have not met in quite some time.

The BC PSAC H&S Rep will contact Howie again to determine the names of the representatives on the call centre working group. Joy indicated that CEIU is looking for a new building to house 500 – 700 people as a call centre with processing. Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is available for members.

ACTION:

Joy – will get in touch with the CEIU group involved with call centres.
James – will contact Howie for names of members on the working groups.
Rahmen – will again raise the issue at his local H&S committee and raise the issue to the regional and national level.

6. Succession Planning – Joy is not running for a second term and any candidate for the BC Regional Council seat for H&S must be a member of the BRUSH.

7. BC PSAC H&S LOGO Contest – The canary in the cage is a good H&S symbol and it must be incorporated into all Logo Contest entries. The contest should conclude prior to the BC Regional Convention in April so that the wining entry can be revealed at the Convention.

8. PIPSC Participation – We have received a request from PIPS members in BC who wish to participate in our BRUSH meetings. Some thoughts were our need to be cautious and that we should contact PIPSC to determine if they have any objections. The REVP BC PSAC was informed and she wants the committee to decide. Some members would like to be inclusive and others are opposed.

Action: James – will contact Denis St. Jean to see if they have any concerns.

9. Lancaster House Audio Conference – Benefits for Disabled Workers Navigating the Maze – We purchased the audio tape of some of this conferences. This subject matter deals with WCB, DI and other benefits (EAP, fit to work) and is about 1 hr to 1.25 hours. We would like to schedule a time and place for airing the audio conference and we would like to hold the meeting in conjunction with the Human Rights Committee. Try something new for people who cannot get to the office. It will be broadcast on the DVD player and then will go over the conference call via the speakers.

10. BC PSAC Health and Safety Website and Forum – wp.psacbc.com – We introduced the new BC PSAC Website and Forum page and explained how to access and register for the Forum. We feel that a lot of our current issues can be addressed in this new format and we will be inviting the rest of the PSAC members to also join in the discussions.

Meeting Adjourned

Minutes – BC Regional Union Safety & Health meeting

Attending:

  • Bob Jackson
  • Monique Bakker
  • Mel Dureen
  • Jason Komaromi
  • Wayne Little
  • Floyd Knelson
  • Chuck Leach
  • Bill Pleming
  • Thomas Gallagher
  • Steven Chesser
  • Mandi Schubert
  • Gail Jewsbury
  • Sam Weiss
  • Kelly Megasi
  • Joy Hennen (Chair)
  • James Little (Staff H&S Rep)

Previous minutes accepted as reviewed. Bob Jackson, Jason Komaromi M/S.

(more…)




BC Health & Safety

RSSHelp with RSS

Welcome to the Health and Safety "minisite" at psacbc.com

This is a collection of all the H&S related information and posts on the website. Click the links below for more ...


Join the Health & Safety discussion! Visit the forum.

Subscribe to PSAC Health & Safety by Email

For more information about the BRUSH (BC Regional Union Safety & Health) Committee, or any H&S related matter, contact James Little in the Victora Regional Office at (250) 953-1050 or 1 (866) 953-1050.

Health & Safety Links

BC Federation of Labour – Occupational Health and Safety You have a right to be safe on the job.
Canada Labour Code Part II Part II of the Canada Labour Code relates to occupational health and safety and reflects the desire to reduce work place injuries and accidents in federal jurisdiction.
Workers Compensation Board – BC WorkSafeBC is dedicated to promoting workplace health and safety for the workers and employers of BC.