Archive for the 'Local OHS Committee' Category



CPP/OAS Processing BC/YT Service Area – Workplace Safety & Health Committee Meeting Minutes – November 27th, 2007 1:15 pm

COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP

  • Sarah Burns Co Chair CEIU October 17th, 2007
  • Crystal Stephens CEIU
  • Crystal Anderson Recorder/ CEIU Sept 10th/ November 27th
  • Donna Lloyd CEIU
  • Heidi Fraser CEIU
  • Tina McKechnie In training (Recorder) November 27th 2007
  • Kim Bergh Director
  • (co-chair) Gwen Kinakin SDM DSB

AGENDA ITEM

1. Call to Order : Welcome to Sarah Burns as new co-chair.

2. Review Minutes of October 17th, 2007: Previous minutes approved.

3. New Business -Workplace Inspection Follow up:

  • Continuous work being done. Office-wide clean up and de-clutter to take place on November 28th and 29th. Common areas will be included.
  • HVAC and Ceiling grills in process of being cleaned.
  • Egress, Safety signage, eyewash stations and fire extinguishers continue to be monitored and updated.
  • First Aid Stations and First Aid Attendants: many issues are yet to be addressed. Co-chairs are meeting on Thursday at 10:30 to discuss these issues.
  • Missing or deteriorating ceiling tiles to be replaced tonight.
  • Inspection schedule amended: Gwen and Crystal Stephens to include CEP area on 5th floor for November’s inspection, and Gwen and Sarah to include 1st floor file room, and basement in December.
  • A new Area Rotation Inspection Roster will be available in the new year.
  • Area maps and inspection roster to be updated by Tina

4. Hazardous Occurrence Incident Report

  • No incidents reported so far this month. Jan has indicated that Heather MacKay is working on a report which occurred during the November Fire Drill. (I don’t recall this? Pete Bowering is the Chief Building Warden – so not clear on how Heather/Jan are involved?)
  • Some discussion followed regarding where to send WCB forms. It was suggested that Team Leader should consult with the Administrative Coordinator.

4. Fire Drill Report

  • One incident of a fire drill and another alarm occurred last week. As of the time of the meeting, reports have not been seen. Gwen to follow up with Pete Bowering

5. Name of committee

  • Discussion about official title. Committee mandate comes from the Canada Labour Code. Gwen to look up original wording.

6. Scents

  • Scents continue to be a concern, especially in kitchens, elevators, and the Bar area. This needs to be re-addressed, and general education needs to be improved.

7. Tip of the Month

  • November –Kim’s tip is Preventing Trips Slips and Falls.
  • December – Heidi will decide on a topic.
  • Due to membership changes, roster needs to be updated.
  • Rotation updated for current fiscal, next fiscal schedule will be provided in the new year.
  • Tina to update Roster for Tip of the Month

8. Round Table

  • Sarah: Will recruit additional members for committee. Look at putting a poster on the public folder.
  • Crystal: No Comments to report.
  • Donna: Paper covering vents in microwave is a fire hazard concern.
  • Heidi: Would like to volunteer to be a first aid attendant, and has a valid ticket till November 2008.
  • Email Don Campbell about fire concerns. Address in de-clutter.

Meeting adjourned at 2:30 pm

9. Next Meeting : Tuesday, December 18th, 2007 at 1:30 pm

CPP/OAS Processing BC/YT Service Area Workplace Safety & Health Committee Meeting Minutes January 29th, 2008 10:30 am

COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP

  • Sarah Burns Co Chair CEIU October 17th, 2007
  • Crystal Stephens CEIU
  • Crystal Anderson CEIU November 27th, 2007
  • Donna Lloyd CEIU
  • Heidi Fraser CEIU
  • Mandi Schubert (acting for Sarah Burns) CEIU
  • Tina McKechnie Recorder November 27th, 2007
  • (Chair)Kim Bergh Director
  • (Co-Chair)Gwen Kinakin SDM DSB

AGENDA ITEM

1. Call to Order

2. Review Minutes of December 18th, 2007

  • Previous minutes approved.

3. New Business

3.1 First Aid Stations and Attendants:

  • Gwen and Sarah, as co-Chair/ First Aid attendant, to hold a meeting this Thursday to do a complete inventory of all the first aid kits and complete the kits as per regulations.

3.2. Workplace Inspections

  • Motion to include workplace inspections as a standing item approved.
  • Inspections are up to date.
  • Items identified in January’s inspection;
  • * “Do not use” sign removed from plumbed in coffee maker in 2nd floor kitchen. Coffee maker sprays hot water from spigot.
  • This coffee maker has been deemed unnecessary and will be removed on the next plumber’s visit after the Union AGM.
  • * Dishwasher – Mandy has contacted the service person at Sears to fix the broken hinge. Until the hinge is fixed, staff will have to hand wash dishes. There may be a motion to buy a new dishwasher at the the Feb 27 AGM.
  • * Recommendation to have another co-ordinated effort to do another large scale clean up in May.
  • * Fifth Floor Lunch Room furniture not a union responsibility. Couches blocking the door to First Aid Room. Wellness Committee responsible for couches.

3.3. Eyewash Stations

  • Not yet removed.

3.4. Committee Membership

  • Call out for new members.
  • Identify new Management Back-up
  • Another back up co-Chair will be identified upon Mandi’s resignation.
  • Mandy to put up new sign
  • Tina to BF in April
  • Gwen to touch base with Wellness Committee.
  • Gwen to speak with Don
  • Mandi to put out call
  • Kim to identify

3.4. Hazardous Occurrence Incident Report

  • No incidents were reported this month.

4. Tip of the Month

  • January – Sarah Burns provided a tip on how to safely shovel snow.
  • February – Crystal Anderson will provide a tip of the month.

5. Round Table

  • Mandi: Mandi wanted clarification for Team Leaders regarding responsibilities/Liabilities for ergonomics.
  • Response: Team Leaders should talk to their bosses and look at link to policy on Indemnity for Public Servants. Mandi to advise concerned team leaders that extent of responsibility is due diligence.
  • Crystal Anderson: Crystal noted that she called the building 1-800 number with regards to garbage in the stairwell in early January and the response was swift. Within 20 minutes, 3 people had shown up at her desk to resolve the matter. The stairwells have been clean since that time.
  • Tina: Nothing to report.
  • Mandi: Mandi inquired about the lack of No Smoking signage on the front of the building.
  • Response: This is an issue for Jan Gillis through the building committee. It was further noted that the rear of the building was where the problem lay. There has been good compliance with no smoking in the back, but there has been a problem with people leaving cigarette butts on the ground since the ashtray was removed.
  • Gwen to share link and send msg out to mgrs.
  • Tina to email Jan Gillis

Meeting adjourned at 11:00 pm

6. Next Meeting : Tuesday, February 19th ,, 2007 at 1:30 pm

CPP/OAS Processing BC/YT Service Area Workplace Safety & Health Committee Meeting Minutes December 18th, 2007 1:00 pm

COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP

  • Sarah Burns Co Chair CEIU October 17th, 2007
  • Crystal Stephens CEIU
  • Crystal Anderson CEIU November 27th, 2007
  • Donna Lloyd CEIU
  • Heidi Fraser CEIU
  • Tina McKechnie Recorder November 27th, 2007
  • Pete Bowering Guest
  • (Chair) Kim Bergh Director
  • (Co-Chair)Gwen Kinakin SDM DSB

AGENDA ITEM

1. Call to Order

2. Review Minutes of October 17th, 2007

  • Previous minutes approved.

3. New Business

3.1 First Aid Stations and Attendants:

  • There is no need to have first aid attendants at off-site according to Canadian EnviroOSH legislation.
  • A crossover between First Aid Attendants and Building Emergency Organization is needed.
  • Meeting to be convened with First Aid Attendants to check First Aid kits are stocked as per regulations, arrange for procurement of supplies, and to establish willingness to continue service.
  • More rigour to be brought to First Aid Attendants regarding maintaining inventory in First Aid Kits and manning First Aid Stations.
  • Recertification costs must be built into the budget piece for next year.

3.2. Fire Drills

  • Pete Bowering spoke to the committee about two incidents.
  • The fire drill of Oct 18. (see November 27th minutes for detailed report)
  • The practice fire drill on October 18th, 2007 was successful.
  • Numerous building issues were raised and Profac is tracking these. Follow up will be shared.
  • The false alarm on November 22nd
  • This was an unexpected full evacuation due to a false alarm, triggered by building maintenance on the 4th floor.
  • Other alarms were noted, and in one instance, some people evacuated the building when the test alarm rang for more than 5 seconds. Normal notification procedure had not been followed in this instance because of the absence of some of those who were to transmit the message.

3.3. Workplace Inspections

  • Declutter and clean went well.
  • Some pieces around signage and floor maps still to be addressed.
  • The November and December inspections have been completed according to schedule. Observations sent out today and attached below.

3.4. Eyewash Stations

  • No need for eyewash stations as there is no identifiable hazard. Kim and Sarah, as co-chairs, agreed that they could be removed.

3.5. Committee Name

  • The name will remain Occupational Safety and Health Committee for ease of identification, noting that the emphasis is equal on safety and health. Pete to speak with F.A. attendants &
  • Gwen/Sarah re FA meeting and kit inventory. Gwen – advise Director

4. Hazardous Occurrence Incident Report

  • One hazardous occurrence was reported by Jan Gillis on November 22, 2007. The individual twisted a knee on the stairwell during the evacuation drill. This individual was appointed as a mobility impaired person and Lab 1070 was sent to RHQ.

5. Tip of the Month

  • December – Heidi will provide a tip in the near future.
  • January – Sarah Burns will provide a tip of the month.

6. Round Table

  • Crystal Stephens: no concerns
  • Crystal Anderson: inquired about procedures for issues of mess in the stairwells and was told to contact the building service desk for any cleaning or maintenance concerns.
  • Donna: no concerns
  • Tina: no concerns
  • Meeting adjourned at 1:40 pm

9. Next Meeting : Tuesday, January 22ndth ,, 2007 at 1:30 pm




BC Health & Safety

RSSHelp with RSS

Welcome to the Health and Safety "minisite" at psacbc.com

This is a collection of all the H&S related information and posts on the website. Click the links below for more ...


Join the Health & Safety discussion! Visit the forum.

Subscribe to PSAC Health & Safety by Email

For more information about the BRUSH (BC Regional Union Safety & Health) Committee, or any H&S related matter, contact James Little in the Victora Regional Office at (250) 953-1050 or 1 (866) 953-1050.

Health & Safety Links

BC Federation of Labour – Occupational Health and Safety You have a right to be safe on the job.
Canada Labour Code Part II Part II of the Canada Labour Code relates to occupational health and safety and reflects the desire to reduce work place injuries and accidents in federal jurisdiction.
Workers Compensation Board – BC WorkSafeBC is dedicated to promoting workplace health and safety for the workers and employers of BC.